COSS Initial inc OLP/CRP
This course is designed to train persons who have been nominated by their line manager/sponsor to enable them to attain the Controller of Site Safety (COSS) competence. The COSS competence is required to be held by anyone who is required to set up a safe system of work on or near the line for a group (two or more). A COSS can also carry out the duties of an IWA provided there are no medical restrictions that would prevent this. The COSS course will take delegates through the procedures as set out in the Rule Book; Handbook 6 (General Duties of an IWA), Handbook 7 (General duties of a controller of site safety (COSS), Handbook 8 (IWA,COSS or PC blocking a line), Handbook 9 (IWA or COSS setting up safe systems of work within possessions), Handbook 10 (Duties of the COSS and person in charge of a hand trolley) and Handbook 13 (Duties of the person in charge of the siding). The course includes the importance of using the correct communication protocols and adopting the appropriate behaviours to be able to carry out this role safely and effectively.
Course Length: 6 Days
The aim of the course is to provide delegates with the skills and underpinning knowledge required to undertake Controller of Site. Safety duties in line with the Controller of Site Safety unit of competence.
At the end of the training the delegate will be able to: Demonstrate their ability to interpret correctly relevant parts of the Rule Book, Handbooks and relevant Network Rail Specifications when acting as COSS. Demonstrate their understanding and ability to set up a Safe System of Work before they or any group of staff is allowed to go 'On or Near the Line'. Deliver a safety briefing, with the opportunity to demonstrate and practice during the course
Pre-requisites & Requirements
The following requirements must be met for this course to run to Network Rail Standards:
- Be a minimum age of 18
- Meet the entry requirements of PTS competence
- Have a good level of literacy
- Hold a valid Sentinel Track Safety Card and meet the requirements of NR/L2/CTM/021 - Competence and Training in Track Safety.
- Meet the medical requirements of Network Rail Standard NR/L2/OHS/00124 Competence Specific Fitness Medical Requirements In addition the requirements of Network Rail Specification NR/L1/OHS/051 (Drugs & Alcohol) must be met.
- Complete the Pre-COSS workbook before attendance and the Sponsor must register the completion of the Pre-COSS workbook with Sentinel
Upon successful completion of the course the candidate will have their Sentinel endorsed with probationary COSS.
*NOTE: If DCCR recertification is required as part of COSS training then the duration increases to 7 days